Lost Instrument Bond

When a person or a corporation loses a valuable and redeemable instrument, the issuer will not deliver a duplicate or replacement instrument until the owner furnishes a Lost Instrument Surety Bond. 

A Lost instrument Bonds are required for a multitude of different reasons but are always tied to a redeemable item of value such as a:

  • Cashiers Checks
  • Stock Certificates
  • Promissory Note
  • Savings Bonds
  • Certificates of Deposit
  • Check or Money Order
  • Life Insurance Policy
  • Deed of Trust
  • Membership Certificates
  • Warehouse Receipts
  • Interest Coupon
  • Savings Bankbook
  • Municipal Bond
  • Corporate Bond


The lost instrument bond guarantees that the Principal will protect and hold harmless from loss or expense suffered as a result of duplicate issuance of an instrument.  For example, if you lost an original stock certificate and were looking to cash in or transfer ownership, you would have to provide the original instrument.  If you are unable to produce the original certificate, the transfer agent would require you to provide a Lost Instrument bond 

What different types of Lost Instrument Bond are available

Lost Instrument Surety Bonds can have either a Fixed Penalty or Open Penalty with regard to the penal amount and are most commonly required by Banks, Transfer Agents, Brokerage Firms, Individuals and companies that lose a stock certificate, mortgage note or other redeemable item of value.

  • Fixed Penalty is as it sounds, the penal sum of the bond is a specific set amount.
  • Open Penalty is a fluctuating amount, never set to a specific amount.


The required amounts and specific types of bonds are always specified by the obligee and directly related to the value of the lost instrument. 

States with specific requirements for Lost Instrument Bonds

Colorado Lost Note Bond - The State of Colorado requires anyone who cannot provide the original title, deed or note on a piece of real property to post a bond in an amount equal to 1.5 times the original stated amount of the instrument.

California Lost Note Bond - The State of California requires anyone who cannot provide the original title, deed or note on a piece of real property to post a bond in an amount equal to 2 times the original stated amount of the instrument.  

Certificate of Title Bonds are required in many states for lost, damaged, stolen or improperly signed off titles for motor vehicles, motorcycles, trailers, boats, personal watercraft or mobile/modular homes.  Also known as securing a Bonded Title, we have made the process as painless as possible through our automated application process. 

Get started now! Follow the links below to find your state and apply for your Surety Bond. Let our expert staff get the bond you need at the lowest possible price!   


Get Your Bond Today.

It's fast and easy to get your bond.

Apply online for a quick decision. Call (800) 737-4880 to talk to our bond experts.

Apply Now